Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pack your bag lightly - How to travel light

So.. now that you have accomplished lesson 1... lets see I will give you my personal advice by revealing what I usually pack. That could be for a 2 weeks quick trip or a 3 months journey. For me the length of stay is irrelevant.

  • 1 pair of jeans:

    which you will wear

  • 2 pairs of socks:

    In winter 3. Important: This means the following: you need to wash one pair when you are wearing the other one. It requires some discipline.

  • Sleeping bag:

    I always carry it, because you never know even if I don´t need to use it too often. I wouldn´t like spending a night on the bare ground without even a sleeping bag. That can happen and you don´t need to freak out about it.

  • Pillow:

    not necessary unless you´ve got a neck problem like me

  • 1 pair of good shoes

    which you will wear

  • 1 pair of slippers:

    I found some really light and thin ones for 1 Euro. They take up almost no space.

  • 2 T-shirts:

    of which you will be wearing one at a time

  • 2 jumpers:

    of which you will wear one. Also important to have a spare one at hand when you are washing. You don´t want to be freezing your ass off, do you?

  • 1 Jacket:

    Which you will wear, in summer/hot country travel this can be avoided.

  • Underwear:

    Usually I carry enough so I can be without washing for 2 weeks. You will find out whatever works for you!

  • Sleeping wear or pyjama:

    Bear in mind that if you share with 5 others they might not want to see your naked bum when you get up or go to the toilet during the night. Therefore I also carry pyjama trousers.

  • Toiletries:

    Get rid of gel soap, they are too expensive, heavy and cannot go into hand luggage if you intend to fly. Just use plain and simple soap bar. It´s cheap too! Shampoo if necessary, toothbrush and toothpaste, some first aid stuff and there you are. No more carrying beauty cases!

  • Towel:

    I am using a microfibre towel that dries within one hour and has the dimensions: 10x8cm when folded. Its really light and big enough to use for the beach, in case... . There are different sizes available.

  • Valuables, ID, Passport, etc.


  • Mobile phone AND charger!

  • Netbook AND charger: If you are not dependent on that for your profession, then you better just bring an actual small notepad made of paper for notes and contact details/address and phone number of hosts.

  • 1 pen, you will need it, believe me
  • 1 copy of your passport in paper (and one electronically)

  • presents for hosts couchsurfing:very important and the good thing about it: the weight gets less and less


Lets see what will be in your bag, without all that you wear:

1 pair of socks, sleepingbag, (pillow,) slippers, 1 t-shirt, 1 jumper, underwear, pijama, toiletteries, towel, valuables, phone, netbook, 1pen, copy of your ID. If that gets you over 8 kgs, ill eat my hat.

I hope this information was useful for you. Let me know what you think and how YOU pack your bag. Now: thumbs up!

--> See here how NOT to do it

No comments: