- Less strenuos!
- No carrying heavy waterbottles, because you just feel less thirsty
- No standing in the hot burning sun and getting sunburnt or blind
Ok , ok I admit, I am not keen on standing next to the road in minus 30 degrees. Then it might be better to wait for warmer weather, go south or take the train/bus. But up to minus 10 degrees is completely bearable.
You need to take precautions though...
- Wear warm and thick clothes
For the upper body part, you should wear 2-3 layers under your warm jacket. Wool with a long sleeve underneath it will keep you really warm. Additionally, woll is easy to take care of. It doesen´t need washing so often, as it doesen´t start to stink so quickly like the synthetics.
- Good shoes
Recently, I got myself these winter boots by Lowa . The lady in the shop claimed that they were warm enough until minus 30.. "Yeah right" I thought.. But they work and I am even sweating in them, even though only weariung a thin pair of tights! I spent an awful amount of money on them, but i am happy. Better to spend on something worthwile than being uncomfortable and unhappy
Then of course, use warm hat, gloves and scarf.
(I am not getting any money from Lowa to advertise here. It could just as well be another brand that provides high quality that you trust in)
- Get informed about the hours of daylight
- WHERE you are going and how,
but you should also know exactly
- when the sun rises and when it will set (why dumbass? daylight!!!) and what the expected weather conditions are. It will make it easier for you and let you get into less trouble.
-> For planning your trip, use Hitchwiki and google maps. Also, ask the locals BEFOREHAND if you need advice. Like that you will know what to expect. Hitchhiking life is not that easy and free as it might seem, are you realising it now?
- Don´t cover too many kilometers per day
- A headlight might save your life
"I already have so much luggage" You shouldnt. Here is an advice about packing lightly.
So, that is all I can think of special things that apply to winter-hitchhiking. Do you have more to add? Then please send me a message or comment!
-Where to sleep along the road? Couchsurfing
-I travelled Europe with 5 EUR a day
- Travel with little money
- Dealing with troubles along the way